Book an instant online appointment:
Root Canal Treatment
Root Canal treatment –or Endodontic treatment – may be required to save a tooth when there’s an infection or inflammation of the tooth nerve or the tissues that surround the root of a tooth. The Pulp is the soft tissue that extends all the way from the root to the crown.
What causes this inflammation or infection?
Infection or inflammation of the pulp can be caused by many factors, including:
- A deep cavity or breakdown of a filling or crown
- A cracked or chipped tooth
- An accident or trauma
- Gum disease
- Extreme wear-and-tear
How do you know if you need treatment?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms you may need :
- Swelling and/or pain in the gums around the tooth
- Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold
- Tooth discolouration
What does the treatment involve?
After your dentist has examined the tooth in question and advised treatment, here’s a brief step-by-step guide as to what to expect:
- You’ll be given a local anaesthetic to ensure you don’t feel any pain during the procedure.
- The nerve space is then accessed to allow the use of specially designed files to remove the damaged nerve, as well as clean, enlarge and re-shape the root canal.
- Any infection may then also be treated with medication.
- A temporary filling will be used to protect the tooth as treatment may require several visits to the dentist.
- To complete the treatment, the root canal(s) are filled to seal the nerve chamber.
Have more questions about Root Canal Treatment? Contact your local Primary Dental centre directly.
Hard to find time for an appointment because of your working hours? We offer extended appointment hours on weekdays as well as on Saturday.