Book an instant online appointment:
Gum disease, more formally known as Periodontitis, is an infection or inflammation of the gums. At Primary Dental we recommend that you seek treatment as soon as possible.
How do you know if you need treatment?
Here are a few things to look out for:
- Red, swollen, tender or bleeding gums
- Gum recession or pockets around the teeth
- Bad breath or a persistent bad taste in the mouth
- Loose teeth or teeth drifting apart
What’s the treatment for gum disease?
Before any treatment takes place, it’s vital that you have your condition properly diagnosed by a dentist.
If gum disease is detected, your dentist will then take you through the recommended options. These may include:
- Removing plaque and tartar
- Removing plaque and deposits from above and below the gum line with a process called scaling
- Removing plaque and deposits on the tooth root below the gum line through a process called root planing
- Improving your overall brushing and flossing technique
- Making lifestyle choices such as quitting smoking
- Assessment of the need to seek specialist periodontal treatment
To have your teeth and gums professionally checked, please contact your local Primary Dental Clinic today.
Hard to find time for an appointment because of your working hours? We offer extended appointment hours on weekdays as well as on Saturday.