If missing or damaged teeth are making you feel self-conscious or make eating more uncomfortable than enjoyable, dental implants may be the answer to restoring your natural, healthy smile.
Dental implants are the most advanced tooth replacement option available, providing a permanent solution that can look, feel and function just like the real thing.
What is a dental implant?
An implant is a surgically placed titanium tooth root. The implant is like a screw which is gently inserted into the carefully prepared bone. Once the implant is fully bonded to the bone, a crown or precision attachment can be fixed to the implant to replace a missing tooth or teeth.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- As well as being almost indistinguishable from a normal tooth, implants are extremely durable and long-lasting.
- Implants can restore chewing and biting ability back to full function.
- By fusing to and stabilising the jaw bone, implants prevent further bone loss that is can be caused by missing teeth.
- Implants can also be used as support for a denture, making it more secure and comfortable.
Am I a good candidate for a dental implant?
Most people are suitable candidates for dental implants. A good candidate should ideally:
- Have healthy teeth and gums and stay committed to a thorough oral hygiene routine after the surgery.
- Have sufficient bone density to support the implant.
- Not suffer from chronic diseases such as uncontrolled diabetes or autoimmune disorders which may impact your ability to heal.
What does the treatment involve?
- The surgery is a relatively quick procedure (usually less than an hour per tooth) and takes place under local anaesthetic. There are no open wounds so any discomfort is usually minor and dissipates quickly.
- Depending on your treatment plan and the condition of the bone, the entire process usually takes between two and nine months. The implants must first heal by fusing to the bone before the permanent replacement crowns made.
- Interim restorations are placed in the short term to provide function and appearance while the implant bonds with the bone
Thinking of finally filling in the gap? The sooner you act, the simpler the process and the better the outcome. Ask us about implants today.
Hard to find time for an appointment because of your working hours? We offer extended appointment hours on weekdays as well as on Saturday.